Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Senior Spotlight: Sarah Mitchell

Her freshman year, Sarah Mitchell lived next door to Anna Roberto, and knew she was part of a student-run dance group. During first semester, Sarah immediately started missing dance, and was eager to find a way to start up again. Anna told her about Prelude, Sarah auditioned for the Spring 2011 semester, and the rest, as they say, is history! 

Prelude Dance Ensemble: What was your dance experience like before Prelude? 
Sarah Mitchell: I have been dancing since I can remember. I danced on-and-off in elementary school and then began non-stop in fifth grade, joining the Decatur City Dance Company in eighth grade and added my high school dance company sophomore year. So, I was dancing AT LEAST once a day after that, usually twice. It was a huge part of my life. I got my classical ballet and jazz from DCD and contemporary from visiting choreographers in my high school.

PDE: Dance has stayed a big part of your life, it seems…you’re of course dedicated to Prelude, but you’re also always watching dance videos (a number of which you regularly share with us on our Facebook group). Any favorite videos?
SM: Haha, I love this question. I feel a compulsion to share any dance videos that I feel are either really well danced, choreographed, or both. I follow a lot of choreographers so I’m always sharing, but I think I’ve shared a good deal of Kyle Hanagami’s choreography. It’s pretty funny to me since most of his work is hip-hop but I think that really well executed hip-hop can be really wonderful to watch and I’m always eager to show Prelude since I know that, as dancers, they will appreciate how well these dancers in the video can come together.

Photoshoot for the Spring 2013 show, "Lost and Found"
PDE: Following a lot of choreographers makes sense, as you’re quite the choreographer yourself! If you could choose anyone to choreograph with, who would it be and why?
SM: This is really difficult. People might judge me for choosing a choreographer from So You Think You Can Dance, but I absolutely love how Stacey Tookey choreographs and can make the most beautiful shapes with people’s bodies! I would love to work with her. She also just seems really nice! Haha, but mostly the lines thing. She makes great lines.

PDE: What typically inspires you and your choreography? Will you discuss your choreographic process a little bit?
Leading rehearsal for her Opener piece, "Dust," Fall 2013
SM: Sometimes a song is all I need to see a completed piece, but the dances that I don’t get tired of choreographing are the ones that have some sort of meaning behind them. I can get really tired of listening to one song over and over again, but the driving force behind it keeps me going, and it means more to me if there’s a feeling that goes with it. It can be really satisfying to get your emotions or feelings out there in a piece if it’s done well.

PDE: You’ve choreographed a number of Opener/Closer pieces that incorporate the whole ensemble. What motivates or inspires you to choreograph these big group pieces, and what are some of the challenges or benefits of doing them?
SM: I like doing Opener/Closer pieces because I think that choreographing for a range of abilities is really a fun challenge. My goal is always to make everyone look good. I try to never make anyone do something they don’t feel comfortable with. It’s a challenge because it’s so many people! But I love working with everyone in Prelude, though, and making Mondays/Wednesdays as relaxed (and productive) as possible.

PDE: What is your favorite dance that you’ve choreographed?
SM:These Arms of Mine” or “17” or “The Winner Is.” They all represent different parts of my time with Prelude and different times in my life in general.

PDE: What’re your top 3 favorite dances you’ve performed with Prelude?
The company after Sarah's first show, Spring 2011
SM: Wow, I am so unsure! I really liked the duet with Ashleigh (“17”) and Grace’s from last semester (“Epilogue”) and I will let the third represent all of them because I can’t even begin to pick just three.

PDE: What’s your favorite dance performance you’ve been to while at UGA?
SM: I saw Pilobolus recently when their traveling company came to UGA. It was such a great reminder of how our bodies can be used as tools/instruments as well as how powerful we are. It was really dynamic and impressive.

PDE: What are some of your favorite Prelude memories?  
SM: Probably rehearsals, after an hour or more when we all start getting really tired and silly. It’s a fun group to be with even when you really want to go home.

PDE: What’s your proudest accomplishment in Prelude?
SM: Any dance I’ve choreographed. Each one has its own challenges. So, at the end, each one feels like a new challenge completed.

PDE: What’s your favorite show that you’ve been involved in with Prelude?
SM: Each show is different, but usually the shows when I’m most involved. Last semester I was only in about three dances because I was an apprentice member and I felt so detached! I’m so glad I became a full member again for my last semester!

Performing "17" with Ashleigh Starnes, Spring 2012
PDE: How do you feel about this semester being your last Prelude show?
SM: I am having some very mixed feelings! I am so excited because I’m in as many dances as possible but I also tried to choreograph as much as possible because I don’t know when I’ll get to put my choreography in a performance again! I think it should be a great show, though! At least I’m ending on a good note, for sure.

PDE: What will you miss most about Prelude?
SM: I’ll miss the relaxed and supportive atmosphere and I will definitely miss being able to choreograph. It’s such a good outlet for me and it feels really constructive to make something, so I don’t think I’ll stop even if I just choreograph in my room. However, I won’t have the awesome Prelude dancers as my instruments anymore!

PDE: What do you think Prelude contributes to UGA as a whole?
SM: As far as I can tell, Prelude is the best dance community anyone can find who doesn’t want to major in dance. You still get to have dance be part of your weekly routine and learn about other people’s dancing experience. It’s a really supportive environment and so so fun!

Photoshoot for the program for the Spring 2012 show, "Love, Dance, Swag"
Sarah will graduate in May with a degree in Anthropology, a minor in Spanish, and a certificate in Global Health. She will be attending graduate school to earn a Master’s of Public Health. She plans on continuing to dance, even if it just means taking classes, as she “can’t really imagine feeling complete without having some aspect of dance as part of my routine.”

Sarah, we will miss you and all you’ve brought to the company the past few years. Good luck this weekend!

Be sure to see Sarah and the rest of our seniors in their last show, “Compass,” April 13 at the East Athens Educational Dance Center.



No comments:

Post a Comment