Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Senior Spotlight: Will Prigge

In the fall of 2010, when Will Prigge auditioned for Prelude as a first-semester freshman, he had practically no experience dancing; in fact, his audition form read: “Previous Dance Experience: DDR.” But performing in his high school’s spring musical his senior year sparked Will’s interest in dance, so when he saw a Prelude audition ad hanging up in Brumby, he thought, “Why not?”

Since then, Will has been a member of Prelude for eight semesters, has performed (by the end of this spring) in seven shows (an injury his first semester kept him backstage), has served as an officer for four semesters, and has choreographed for four different shows. We asked him some questions about all these experiences over the past four years:



Prelude Dance Ensemble: You’re Prelude-famous for having written “DDR” under the “Previous Dance Experience” portion of your audition form. And now you’re a confident and talented performer and choreograph some of our most challenging pieces! How do you feel about your growth over the past four years?
Working backstage at his first show, Fall 2010
Will Prigge: I’m obviously really proud of it, but I had a lot of help along the way from almost every other Prelude member. Someone was always there to show me how to do a particular move or to explain what exactly “tour jeté” means.

PDE: What’s your proudest accomplishment in Prelude?
WP: I think working up the nerve to choreograph? But I’m also super proud of myself and my fellow officers for managing to stay afloat our first semester in office; that was a tough semester, and making it through to the show took a lot on all our parts.

PDE: What have been some of your favorite memories as an officer? What have been some of the challenges?
WP: I think I can honestly say that I’ve enjoyed any time when all four (or five) officers were together, whether it was to figure stuff out or just to chat. Probably my favorite tradition that we’ve started is the congratulatory “we did it!” officer hug at the end of every show day (just one reason why show days are my favorite). I think the biggest challenge was the one I mentioned earlier, just trying to get our footing the first fall. With no real carryover from the previous officers (all of whom had graduated), we had to figure out a lot of logistical stuff for ourselves, but I think that actually really helped us in the long run. Helped us figure out what things work and what things don’t.

The four officers and junior officer after the Fall 2013 show, "Mirror, Mirror"

PDE: What typically inspires you and your choreography?
WP: Usually the music. I’ll find a song that I think a dance would go well with, and then try to put together choreography that I feel fits with the essence of that song. Also, life. I think my experiences tend to inform the songs that I choose and some of the movements I try to incorporate.

PDE: Of the dances you’ve choreographed, which is your favorite?
WP: Probably “Halcyon” last semester. I'd wanted to choreograph to that song [“Halcyon,” by Ellie Goulding] for a while, and it was an awesome group of girls to work with. 

PDE: What’re your top 3 favorite dances you’ve done with Prelude?
WP: Be Your Love,” the “Harder to Breathe” tango, and “I Won’t Give Up.” 

Performing "Be Your Love" with Noemi Sambas, Spring 2013

PDE: What’re your top 3 favorite Prelude dances (that you haven’t necessarily been in)
WP: Poison and Wine,” “These Arms of Mine,” and “Epilogue.” 

PDE: What’s your favorite dance performance that you’ve seen while at UGA?
WP: In February I went to the Atlanta Ballet’s performance of Roméo et Juliette, which was absolutely spectacular.

PDE: Of the Prelude shows you’ve been involved in, which is your favorite?
WP: Each show we complete kind of becomes my new favorite, I think because it’s clearest in my mind. So right now I’d have to say my favorite is Mirror, Mirror [Fall 2013]. Outside of that, I think Lost & Found [Spring 2013]. 

PDE: What are some of your favorite Prelude memories? 
                                       
Halloween rehearsal, Fall 2012
WP: I think show days have pretty consistently been my favorite part of being in Prelude. Everybody’s hopped up on adrenaline, we get to see all our hard work pay off and how much people appreciate what we do, and there are just a lot of warm-fuzzy feelings in the air. I’ve also really enjoyed our recent trend in dressing up for Halloween rehearsals and our themed bake sales (on Halloween and Valentine’s Day).

PDE: How do you feel about this being your last Prelude show?
WP: Sad, obviously. Prelude’s been such a big part of my life in college, so it’ll be weird not being around this family on a regular basis any more. But I’m also thrilled to have found this community and to have been a part of it for the past four years, so another part of me is really proud of how far I’ve come—how far we’ve all come. Suffice it to say I’m sure there will be tears in my eyes come April 13.

PDE: Prelude is consistently facing a shortage of boys. Why should boys audition?
WP: Because dancing isn’t just for girls! It’s great exercise, it helps to instill confidence, and it’s just generally good for expanding your comfort zone. Also, Prelude boys are so rare that they’re treated like these mystical creatures that all the girls love.

PDE: What do you think Prelude contributes to UGA as a whole?
WP: Prelude provides a safe place for people with a ton of dance experience and people with hardly any dance experience to come and learn and teach and grow together. It’s a place where you can, at least temporarily, forget about all the stress of being a college student and just let loose. Prelude offers UGA students the opportunity either to continue or to start dancing, and to cultivate incredible friendships in the process—and every semester it offers the wider UGA and Athens community a chance to come see performances that are genuine and full of talent and, awesomely, entirely student-created.

Photoshoot for the Spring 2013 show, "Lost and Found"

Will will graduate in May with a BA/MA in English and a minor in Spanish. He’s considering attending grad school, but is also looking into jobs and internships in the publishing field. His long-term goals involve a lot of travel and, as he puts it, “being happy with wherever I end up in life.” A “crowning achievement” would be opening his own coffee shop or writing a book. Will hopes to stay involved in dance after graduation by continuing to take classes and develop his dance technique. We hope he continues on with it too!

Congratulations on four wonderful years, Will. You’ll be missed!

Be sure to see Will and the rest of our seniors in their last show, "Compass," April 13 at the East Athens Educational Dance Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment