Friday, April 11, 2014

Senior Spotlight: Stephanie Romero

It was fellow Prelude dancer John Esteban Rodriguez who convinced Stephanie Romero to audition for Prelude Dance Ensemble with him this semester. He knew she had prior dance experience and begged her to come with him so she, (being such a great friend), decided to tag along for auditions. She enjoyed the friendly and welcoming environment of the Prelude members. Luckily, she made the team and has been enjoying her experience ever since.

Prelude Dance Ensemble: What was your dance experience like before Prelude?
Stephanie Romero: I took ballet for about eight years from the ages of 8 to 16. I also danced in my high school's dance company, dancing in jazz, modern and contemporary pieces. Since my teenage years, I have danced salsa, bachata, and merengue recreationally.

PDE: What’re your top 3 favorite dances you’ve performed with Prelude?
SR: Considering I've only been in 4, all 4 are my favorites! (Opener, Closer, “Rule the World,” “Back to the River”).

PDE: What are some of your favorite Prelude memories?
SR: My favorite memory thus far has to be performing in the charity event for Children First. It was a group of 8 Prelude members that performed two of this semester's dances. It was nice to bond with a smaller group as I got to know some of them better. We also had a lot of laughs and giggles and great conversations. Plus, we ended up winning a $500 prize, which was awesome.

PDE: How do you feel about this semester being your last Prelude show?
SR: It is an interesting feeling for it to be my first and last show. I am wholly appreciative of the time I got to spend dancing once again. I was always very curious about what my life in college would have been had I danced throughout, but at least I got a taste of it.

PDE: What will you miss most about Prelude?
SR: I kinda got into the routine of seeing the members every Monday and Wednesday evening. I will miss the friendly environment of the group!

PDE: What do you think Prelude contributes to UGA as a whole?
SR: It definitely is a comfortable and nurturing place for people that like to dance contemporary and jazz. It is a great niche that exists on campus.


Stephanie will graduate in May with a degree in Anthropology, a minor in Women's Studies, and a certificate in Latin American & Caribbean Studies. She hopes to take the next few years to work, pursue her interests, travel abroad, and find her purpose in life. Dancing in Prelude inspired her to branch out to other forms of dance she has always been interested in, so wherever she ends up, you most likely will hear of her trying things like Latin Ballroom, Bharatanatyam, and traditional folk dances.

We've loved having you, even if it was for a short time! Break a leg this Sunday, Stephanie!

Be sure to see Stephanie and the rest of our seniors perform in their last show, "Compass," April 13 at the East Athens Educational Dance Center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment